We’ve had our dogs go into surgery a few times. We’re confident in our vet, so the actual surgery didn’t worry us, but I’ll tell you what did. The licking that comes after. Finding the best bitter spray for dogs was important to us. We’ve dealt with small cuts and scrapes turning into an ordeal simply because our dogs don’t know how to leave it alone! We’ve taken great measures to make sure our dogs don’t their own wounds, or worse if they lick each other’s wounds. Imagine having a small scrape turning into a big wound because your dog was chewing it all day while you were at work!
It happens. So what can you do?
There are actually quite a few options out there, but one that seems to work is to use a special spray that makes your dog stop licking their wounds or stitches.
Best Bitter Spray For Dogs
There is a bit of debate around whether or not this stuff actually works. The truth is, every dog is different and all you can do is try. Some dogs will actually be attracted to it while other dogs stay away from the sprayed object as intended. There is no perfect solution, but there are options. There are actually a few different brands that use their own recipe. It’s a good idea to buy a few different flavors/recipes.
Grannicks Bitter Apple
- Grannick's Bitter Apple is a taste deterrent
- training aid for dogs
- Discourages fur biting
This is our go-to answer for anything to do with deterring our dogs from licking and chewing. As puppies, they avoided this stuff and it did the job for us just fine. We found the effectiveness of this spray to last for different amounts of time. Sometimes it would last hours while other times it would only last about 10 minutes. We used it on our dog’s leg and it definitely helped to stop licking. We kept an open mind because we know that some itches just need a good scratch. It doesn’t matter how bitter or nasty you can make something taste, if the itch is bad enough your dog will go for it. This will just help you.
Rocco & Roxie Bitter Spray
- EFFECTIVELY DISCOURAGES CHEWING Stops pets from licking and chewing skin, fur, bandages and wounds.
- TWICE AS BITTER The super bitter taste pets hate, thanks to our double-strength extreme bitter formulation. LONG-LASTING ALCOHOL-FREE FORMULA Works longer than alcohol-based formulas which evaporate...
- WITH CALMING TEA TREE OIL FOR SOOTHING HOT SPOTS Spraying on rough, tender skin? Stop the aggravating behavior—AND help soothe and heal hot spots thanks to tea tree essential oil.
It’s definitely interesting to read the reviews of all these sprays. People are either really happy about how well it worked or upset that it didn’t work as they intended. As we said before, there are different recipes/formulas out there. You should try using at least two different no-lick sprays and alternate them based on your dog’s mood and appetite. This was actually a pretty solid tip we got from a pet store owner. It was definitely worth listening to.
Bodhi Dog 2 in 1 Bitter Spray And Hot Spot Spray
- DETER CHEWING & BITING OF SKIN IRRITATIONS: Our all-natural Bitter 2 in 1 No Chew & Hot Spot Spray is a safe and humane alternative to help train your furry friend from chewing and biting on wounds,...
- SAFE TO USE INDOORS AND OUTDOORS: Our non-staining, cruelty-free anti-chew spray is safe to use on things you want your pets to stop chewing on both indoor and outdoor. It can be safely be sprayed on...
- EFFECTIVE AND SAFE: Our Bitter 2 in 1 No Chew & Hot Spot Spray won’t hurt your pet or the things it sprayed on! Please keep in mind, our spray contains natural bitters which can have a strong scent...
This bitter spray doubles as hot spot spray. What exactly does that mean? Well, hot spot spray is intended to help your dog with healing wounds that it’s already been showing a lot of attention to. While the other sprays are intended to be sprayed on objects, this spray is intended to be used on your dog. Using Vitamin E, eucalyptus, and menthol, it aims to soothe and heal those spots that your dog has been chewing and licking on itself. We use a separate spray specifically for vitamin E in combination with a bitter spray. So having a 2 in 1 solution is a neat idea.
What Bitter Spray Works Best For Dogs
The honest answer to this question is to test which bitter sprays works best for your dog. We have two different kinds of bitter sprays and adjust accordingly based on the dog’s mood and appetite. If you asked us what the best bitter apple spray is, then we’d definitely recommend using grannicks. They sell the bottles in different volumes, but we’ve only had to buy one bottle and it’s lasted for a long time.
You also need to ask yourself what the reason is for using bitter spray. Are you trying to get your dog to stop licking their wounds? Are you trying to prevent them from chewing wires, shoes, or furniture?
If your dog is really itchy, then you can also try grooming them. Whether you’re doing it yourself or have a groomer to go to. A clean coat is a good way to help with itchy skin. See what shampoo do dog groomers use and then apply some bitter spray.