As a small dog breed owner, you need to know what food is best for your little canine to make better decisions. Although both canned and dry dog foods have their specific benefits, you may want to look a little deeper to find out why small dogs thrive on canned food. For instance, dry kibbles are suitable for dogs but not good enough for small dogs. That said, here are more insights about the best-canned dog foods for small dog breeds and puppies.
Common Questions About Canned Dog Food
Is Canned Dog Food Better Than Dry Food?
Canned food is better since it has fewer chemicals, and hence it tastes heavenly. It also contains low carbs and high proteins, essential for weight control and your dog’s overall well-being. This is unlike dry kibbles, which usually have high carbs and lots of chemicals that may harm your dog.
Is Canned Dog Food Good For Puppies?
Absolutely. Puppies should eat canned food because it is wet and more comfortable to chew compared to dry kibbles. With weak growing teeth, your puppy needs something softer yet healthier for significant growth, and canned food contains the necessary nutrients such as vitamins and proteins, which enhance growth.
Can It Be Cooked?
Yes, canned dog food is cooked at specific temperatures depending on the ingredients. For instance, canned food with carbohydrates is cooked at higher temperatures to allow thorough cooking of starch. Cooking also allows proteins to denature, and this helps in enhancing the texture and flavor of the dog food.
Is It Easier To Digest?
During processing, dog food is blended into a fine wet texture, with water and broth being among the ingredients. This makes canned food easier to digest, especially for smaller dog breeds, puppies, and dogs recovering from stomach illnesses. Dogs also chew canned food effortlessly, making the whole digestion process easier.
Is It Healthier?
Generally, canned dog food is healthier than dry dog food. More specifically, the air-tight packaging means canned food doesn’t contain unnecessary synthetic preservatives. It also has more meat proteins essential to your dog and fewer carbs, which help maintain weight. The fluids in canned food also help in hydration.
Is It More Expensive?
Usually, canned dog food is more expensive than dry food. This is because of the high-quality ingredients that are part of the canned food. For instance, broth, chicken, meat, and vegetables are used in making canned food and are both healthier and easier to digest.
Can It Cause Diarrhea?
Different manufacturers use different ingredients to make their canned food, some of which may cause diarrhea in dogs. For example, gluten can likely cause diarrhea in dogs that lack tolerance to it. If canned food contains wheat, high chances are the gluten in it will cause diarrhea. However, not every best-canned food contains diarrhea-causing ingredients.
Does It Go Bad?
Canned dog food is usually packed in airtight cans and can stay in good condition for up to two years. However, if you open the can, be sure to feed your dog within four hours, lest it goes bad. Once the can is open, you can store the food in a fridge for five to seven days.
Does It Spoil Faster In Heat?
Yes, canned dog food can easily spoil in high temperatures. If you want your canned food to stay longer, make sure you store it under 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If you open the can, however, reserve the food at 40 to 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can It Be Frozen?
Yes, you can freeze your canned dog food for up to nine months to avoid wastage. Just ensure you pack it in a freezer-safe container before freezing it.
Top 5 Recommended Canned Dog Food For Small Dogs
1. Pedigree Chopped Ground Dinner
- Contains eighteen (18) 3.5 oz. pouches of PEDIGREE Chopped Ground Dinner Adult Wet Dog Food Variety Pack: (6) Bacon and Filet Mignon Flavor, (6) With Slow Cooked Beef and (6) With Hearty Chicken
- Healthy dog food recipe made with real beef or chicken for an irresistible taste dogs will love
- PEDIGREE Chopped Ground Dinner adult wet dog food is 100% Complete & Balanced
I bought Pedigree puppy ground dinner wet canned food, which was the best decision I ever made. This food is yummy (made of real chicken, lamb, turkey, and beef), nutritious, and easy for my dog to consume. Before I discovered this food, my dog barely ate her food, but I’m glad that her appetite I now back thanks to Pedigree puppy ground dinner wet canned food. I have tried other brands, but it seems she likes this one the most due to its tail wagging flavors and soft texture.
2. Purina Beneful
- Two (2) Packs of Twelve (12) 3 oz. Cans - Purina Beneful Small Breed Wet Dog Food Variety Pack; IncrediBites
- Made with real beef, chicken or salmon
- Includes real ingredients you can see
My pooch has been picky when it comes to food. She only eats moist, bite-sized food. I have tried many foods, but Hill science diet wet dog food has turned out to be the best. This food is mouthwatering and highly nutritious. The omega fatty acid and vitamin E present help nourish my dog’s skin, while Lean protein helps build muscles. Fiber present helps to enhance its digestion. I am so glad that I have found the favorite food for my little one.
3. Blue Buffalo Homestyle Recipe
- REAL CHICKEN OR BEEF FIRST: This pate style wet dog food features high-quality protein from real chicken or beef to support healthy muscle maintenance
- FEED THREE WAYS: BLUE Homestyle Recipe adult dog food makes a delicious treat, adds interest mixed into their favorite dry foods or can be fed as a meal on its own
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: All BLUE canned dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients and enhanced with vitamins and minerals
My pooch has been picky when it comes to food. She only eats moist, bite-sized food. I have tried many foods, but Blue Buffalo dog food has turned out to be the best. This food is mouthwatering and highly nutritious. The omega fatty acid and vitamin E present help nourish my dog’s skin, while Lean protein helps build muscles. Fiber present helps to enhance its digestion. I am so glad that I have found the favorite food for my little one.
4. Cesar Gourmet
- Contains two (2) 12-count cases of 3. 5 oz. trays of CESAR Wet Dog Food Classic Loaf in Sauce Filet Mignon Flavor Multipack
- Crafted without grains and with real meat, US Beef as the #1 ingredient
- CESAR Wet Dog Food is complete and balanced and fortified with vitamins and minerals to help dogs of all sizes, especially small breeds, stay healthy
My dogs did not like to eat its home-cooked food. Scared that she may starve to death, I decided to buy dog food to see if she will enjoy it. A bought a couple of dog foods, and Cesar gourmet Wet dog food was one of them. Out of all the dog foods that I purchased, she preferred Cesar gourmet Wet dog food. I think she liked it because of if great flavor and taste. The dog food is made of real US beef that is super delicious. It also contains minerals and vitamins that make it complete and balanced. My dog’s appetite is now back, thanks to Cesar’s gourmet wet dog food. Highly recommended.
5. Hill’s Science Diet
- Treat your dog to 2 tasty varieties of wet dog Food with precisely balanced nutrition for small dogs 1 to 6 years old
- This small breed dog food makes serving easy with a handy peel & serve tray, perfectly sized for your small breed dog
- Protein is the building block For LEAN muscle that helps maintain ideal body condition, which is why this small dog Food provides ideal levels of high quality lean proteins
I was skeptical about feeding my dog with wet dog food, but I decided to try since my puppy was teething as I did not want to eat her regular food. I was recommended Hill science diet wet food dog by one of the close friends, and so I decided to give it a try. To my surprise, my puppy liked it so much. This wet dog food is nutritious and super delicious. Now that teething is complete, I am slowly reintroducing her to the everyday food, but I still use this to motivate and keep her happy.