If your pet ever has anal gland problems, your nose will be the first to tell you. The pungent smell is enough for even the most caring dog-owners to stare at their special family-member with disgust. And if it’s bad for you, imagine what it’s like for your dog! Anal gland problems can be extremely uncomfortable for your dog and lead to bigger problems down the line.
If you are unsure whether or not your dog has anal gland issues, look out for odd behavior. Some signs that your dog is struggling with anal gland issues is if it scoots across the carpet, or if it’s constantly licking its behind. Luckily, this problem can be treated through diet change.
High-fiber dog food works to improve your pet’s digestion by making their poop firmer, which leads to their anal glands being cleared out more often. It also helps to create a healthier and more functional microbiome in their gut and can help boost their immune system.
Best Supplement For Regular Bowel Movement
The best supplement for you to use with your dog is the one that works for his system. Most supplements that promote regular bowel movement will contain very similar natural ingredients. We would highly recommend trying two or three different brands, but to stay on course with one brand at a time.
Here are our top picks for high-fiber dog food:
1. Glandex Anal Gland Soft Chew Treats with Pumpkin – Vet Recommended
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY ANAL GLANDS: Glandex is scientifically formulated to support healthy anal glands. With key ingredients including pumpkin seed, Glandex promotes natural emptying of the anal glands &...
- GUARANTEED TO BOOT THE SCOOT: Glandex results are guaranteed to help your pet "Boot the Scoot!” in 3-5 weeks & comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- VETERINARIAN RECOMMENDED: Glandex is recommended by thousands of veterinarians worldwide & was developed by leading veterinarians to specifically support healthy anal gland function
Glandex’s soft chews are proven to help reduce inflammation and constipation in dogs of all sizes and breeds. Thousands of veterinarians across the country endorse Glandex, and the vast majority of customers report that pets’ anal gland issues were resolved within three weeks.
Its simple-yet-potent formula is composed of natural ingredients including pumpkin seeds, probiotics, and anti-inflammatory enzymes. You can trust that this will help your dog feel better in no time!
- All-natural ingredients.
- Recommended by veterinarians and dog specialists.
- Great taste and easily ingested.
- Noticeable change in just 3-5 weeks.
Why We Like It: My dog is a part of my family, so I need to know that whatever I feed them is top-quality. With Glandex’s soft chews, there’s no question that I’m feeding him something that’s both tasty and nutritious. Additionally, I know that with 120 peanut butter chews per container I won’t have to shop again for 2-3 months.
How Often Should You Give Your Dog Glandex?
Giving your dog Glandex can be done as often as your dog is still having trouble. All of the ingredients are natural, with common high fiber ingredients that promote bowel movements in dogs such as pumpkin.
2. Zesty Paws Probiotic Bites
- NO MORE TUMMY TROUBLES – Zesty Paws Probiotic Bites contain 3 billion CFU of Prebiotics and Probiotics to helps dogs with gas, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, and stomach discomfort.
- FEATURING GanedenBC30 – These soft chews include GanedenBC30, a premium Bacillus Coagulans probiotic that withstands stomach acid as it reaches the intestines to aid digestion, flora, and gut...
- NATURAL ENZYMES & FIBER - These daily dog chew treats contain Papaya for digestive enzyme support, plus Pumpkin as a fiber and prebiotic source to help motility and bowel movement for your canine.
If Glandex was the overall best option, Zesty Paw’s chews hold the trophy for the best value. With both chicken and pumpkin flavors, these chews will help with diarrhea, indigestion, bloating, and constipation among other things. Boasting numerous probiotics and enzymes, this treat will help create a healthier and more balanced gut bacteria for your pet.
Featuring all-natural ingredients and a great taste, Zesty Paws are a great way to express your love for your dog.
- – Chicken and pumpkin flavors
- – Easy nutrient absorption
- – Boosts immune system
- – Reduces stomach discomfort
- – Grain-free
Why We Like It: Zesty Paw’s affordability and chicken flavor are what make it so special. Not only does it help with digestion, but its probiotics strengthen your pet’s immune system, giving you a two-for-one deal!
3. Bernie’s Perfect Poop To Help Dogs Poops
- HEALTH STARTS IN THE GUT: High Fiber Grass Bits naturally revitalize your pet's digestive tract to relieve digestive issues including diarrhea, constipation, upset stomach, stalled digestion, bloating...
- HELP YOUR DOG FEEL THEIR BEST: Bolster your dog's immune system and overall health; Increase absorption of nutrients and vitamins to help tackle common pet concerns such as allergies, skin, coat,...
- COMPLETE 4 IN 1 FORMULA: Combines premium Fibers, Prebiotics, Probiotics and Enzymes to supercharge your pet's digestive system. These four building blocks unite to form a high fiber solution that...
These high-fiber grass bits revitalize your pet’s damaged digestive system and strengthen their gut. Its four-in-one formula combines enzymes, probiotics, fibers, and prebiotics serve multiple purposes, all of which help keep your dog healthy and happy. Its quick-acting ingredients quickly resolve your dog’s digestive issues and help prevent infection.
Even better, each bit is stuffed with cheese or chicken that your furry friend will love. Its ingredients are produced in midwestern American farms and are free of GMO’s, pesticides, and insecticides.
- All-natural formula
- Dynamic combination protects your pet from more than just digestion issues
- Premium ingredients
- Rebuilds a healthy gut microbiome
Why We Like It: With Bernie’s Perfect Poop Chewables, I know exactly what I’m feeding my dog and where it’s coming from. Because it has benefits outside of digestion help (and a great taste), I feed my dog these chewables year-round.
How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Digest Food and Poop It Out
The time it takes for a dog to digest food and poop it out could vary greatly on the age and breed of the dog. For a puppy, it shouldn’t take more than an hour or two. For a medium-aged dog, the time it takes to digest and poop out food could be anywhere from two to eight hours. It is also highly recommended to give your dog a good walk to allow his digestive system to get some natural movement as well.
No matter which option you go with, you can rest assured that your pet’s diet and health is in good hands. With all choices, however, it is important to understand that they can only help so much. If your pet has a lasting issue, or it seems like their condition is worsening, do not hesitate to visit a veterinarian.