Benadryl is a medication that is often prescribed for allergy symptoms in people but can it be given to dogs? The answer is “yes” but it’s best to check the discretion of your veterinarian to confirm dosage and any other potential side effects if your dog is taking other medications.
How Does Benadryl Help With Allergy Symptoms?
Benadryl is an antihistamine, which means that it prevents certain chemicals in the body called histamines from causing symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Common allergy symptoms from histamines include watery eyes, itchy skin, and sneezing. Benadryl only helps with symptoms caused by histamines and does not help relieve other allergy symptoms such as hay fever.
What Should You Do If Your Dog Has Allergies?
The first thing to do is schedule an appointment with your veterinarian. Don’t expect that Benadryl will work on its own, your pet may need additional treatment. It’s also important to ask your vet about any potential side effects of Benadryl before giving it to your dog.
You should also consider your dog’s diet. Sometimes, allergies can show up because of the dog food you’re giving them. Find dog food that won’t trigger alleriges.
How Much Should You Give Your Dog?
For dogs, the general dose is 1mg per pound of body weight, so you may have to cut up your Benadryl pills to get a safe dose for your dog.
One side effect of giving a high dose of Benadryl is a decrease in blood pressure, so make sure to be careful if that occurs so you don’t make things worse. As always, check with your vet before giving your pup any medications.
Alternative Homeopathic Remedies For Dog Allergies
Even though Benadryl is the most commonly used anti-histamine to treat dog allergies, there are other homeopathic remedies that can be effective as well. One of the more popular alternatives is to use aromatherapy for your dog. Essential oils are a great way to receive tons of health benefits without having to ingest anything.
Oat Baths (Shampoo)
Oatmeal baths are primarily used to soothe skin irritation and itching in dogs. Oatmeal is a natural anti-histamine that can be used as an alternative treatment for allergies.
Setting an oatmeal bath works a little differently for dogs. For a person, you would dump the oat bath into the water and let it dissolve. For a dog, you’ll want to use something a little more targeted, such as a shampoo. Above this text, we show you the shampoo we recommend using for giving your dog an oat bath.
Olive Leaf Extract
- Premium Quality: Nature’s Answer Olive Leaf Standardized Fluid Extract is a concentrated herbal extract made from the leaves of the Olive tree offers tremendous benefits of 50 mg of oleuropein. The...
- Exceptional Features: Super Concentrated. Made from 2,000mg of dried Olive tree leaves (1:1 dry herb equivalent) and standardized to 50 mg of oleuropein per serving, it promotes overall good health...
- Nature’s Answer assures you the quality of each ingredient by identifying the purity of every incoming botanical, promising you the purest form of each extract in every product.
Studies have found that olive leaf extract can significantly reduce the symptoms of dog allergies by reducing the release of histamine in the body. Simply add some olive leaf extract into their food or water. You should always ask your vet if this is okay to use for your dog.
- OUTSTANDING VALUE: Our Osha Root Extract contains 120 capsules per bottle AND 500 mg strength per capsule – an amazing value! Compare this to other leading brands that have lower dosages, contain...
- POWERFUL LUNG, RESPIRATORY SUPPORT: Osha root is most commonly used to promote lung and respiratory health. Osha root also a long-time favorite for treating coughs, sore throat, congestion, bronchial...
- CONCENTRATED, POWERFUL AND POTENT: Our Osha Root Extract Capsules are made from a powerful 4:1 extract for extra potency, providing 500 mg strength per capsule. Even better, we use a concentrated root...
Osha oil can soothe insect bites, rashes, and itching. It can also help to reduce the production of histamines.
Pennyroyal Leaf Oil
- ESSENTIAL AROMATHERAPY - Pennyroyal is repelling and stimulating with a fresh minty-like scent that is associated with purification and cleansing. Reduce negative energy and its influence on your mood...
- NATURAL/RESPONSIBLY MADE - The pennyroyal oil is extracted through steam distillation of flowering tops. Made in state-of-the-art laboratories, naturally derived and subject to purity testing...
- 100% PURE/UNDILUTED - Our essential oils are highly concentrated and 100% pure and free of synthetic ingredients, delivering the very best benefit of the source of the plants, fruits, seeds, flowers,...
Pennyroyal oil is another natural remedy that can help to relieve itching, which is commonly associated with allergies and recurrent infections. Pennyroyal leaf oil is an essential oil that is meant to use in aromatherapy.
Plantain Leaf Extract
- PLANTAIN EXTRACT: Hormones free, preservatives free, without artificial ingredients, without antibiotics, gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, sugar-free, soy free, yeast free.
- HIGHEST QUALITY ORGANIC PLANTAIN TINCTURE - Florida Herbs products consist entirely of pure ingredients, including wild plants and certified organic ingredients.
- ORGANIC PLANTAIN SUPPLEMENT from Florida Herbs aims to deliver purest high-quality organic products.
Plantain leaf extract, found in the inner portion of the green leaves of plants in the family Plantago family, can assist in reducing swelling and inflammation. It also has anti-histamine properties.
Sesame Seeds Oil
- 100% PURE AND CERTIFIED ORGANIC BODY OIL: NOW Solutions Sesame Seed Oil is a superb natural moisturizer teeming with beneficial nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. (Expeller...
- FOR SKIN, HAIR, AND BODY/NON-GMO PROJECT VERIFIED: It helps to increase skin smoothness for a more radiant, youthful-looking appearance, and also acts as a protectant. For hair, sesame seed oil...
- GMP Quality Assured: NOW closely adheres to both mandatory U.S. FDA Current Good Manufacturing Practices (CGMP) regulations and voluntary Natural Products Association (NPA) Good Manufacturing...
Sesame oil is a powerful natural remedy because it contains Omesene, which is believed to have strong anti-inflammatory properties.
Timbal Oil With 30% Tea Tree Oil
Timbal oil is an effective remedy for dog allergies that can help to treat symptoms such as scratching, and is often used in conjunction with essential oils to stimulate the immune system.
Valerian Root Extract
- Liquid herbal extract to promote relaxation and restful sleep.*
- Easily absorbed liquid engages your senses of taste and smell to help your body recognize & use herbs.
- Prepared from the Certified-Organic fresh rhizome and root of Valeriana officinalis plants.
Valerian root extract is popularly used as a sleep aid, but it also has strong anti-histamine properties.