There is nothing more interesting for a dog than being able to run around freely and breathe fresh air. Unfortunately, thousands of dogs suffer from disabilities that occur from injuries, illnesses, or when they are born with missing ribs. The disability can be slight, but in most cases, it causes the dog to be incapacitated. This is the major reason why there is a need for wheelchairs for dogs.
Dog wheelchairs are a great help for dogs with limited mobility in giving them a better life. They help the dogs bring their happy lives back by helping with their mobility, independence and prevent further damage and pain.
How Do You Care For A Paralyzed Dog?
Although it is heartbreaking for dog owners when their dogs are paralyzed, there are ways that you can help your dog move around easily. Caring for a dog that is paralyzed can be overwhelming at first. However, with the right products, it becomes easy to care for your dog.
One of the best ways to care for a paralyzed is by purchasing a wheelchair. There are various types of pet wheelchairs available in the market. The dog wheelchairs consist of a harness that you fasten around the dog and two wheels at the back. Once your doggie gets used to the wheelchair, he will be able to go anywhere.
How To Measure A Dog For A Wheelchair?
Before you purchase a wheelchair for your dog, ensure you have the right measurements. This is to enable you to find the right size for a wheelchair and a hassle-free time when shopping for a dog wheelchair. Here are the steps to follow.
- Support the dog in a standing position where all paws are flat on the ground. However, if the dog is having trouble in an upright position, you can take the measurements as he is lying on one side. You should use a tape measure for correct measurements.
- The first measurement is from the front legs up to the front of the shoulder.
- Secondly, measure the length of the front leg to the hind leg.
- Place your hand gently inside the hind leg and measure the widest part of the thigh.
- Get the length of the dog’s pelvic floor to the ground.
- Measure the widest parts of the dog’s body, which includes ribs, shoulders, and rump.
- Measure the length between the dog’s front legs and do the same for back legs.
- Lastly, weigh the dog using a scale.
Can A Dog Lie Down In A Wheelchair?
Dogs can lie down easily in a wheelchair. There are collapsible wheelchairs that allow the dogs to lie down, sit, and get up whenever they want, without using their rear legs. However, when purchasing a dog wheelchair, find out if it is adjustable or collapsible to allow the dog to lie down without any hassle.
How Much Does A Doggie Wheelchair Cost?
Dog wheelchairs are not that cheap. However, the prices vary based on certain things such as size, material, and design. Some come with additional accessories such as bells and whistles, which add to the price.
You are likely to spend $70 to $500 for your dog’s wheelchair. The prices may seem high, but you should consider the value it will provide your dog.
Dog Wheelchairs Review
1. K9 Carts
- VETERINARIAN DESIGNED, built, and tested for over 53 years in our Orthopedic Veterinary Hospital.
- MADE IN THE USA just for you pet. Handmade with care. Normally ships in 1 - 3 business days.
- LIGHTEST WHEELCHAIR on the market!. Built from aircraft grade aluminum for years of rugged use.
The K9 carts are veterinarian designed and have been tested for over 53 years. They are handmade and lightweight so that they do not put extra weight on your dog. They are made from aircraft-grade aluminum.
2. Tongping Adjustable Dog Wheelchair
The dog wheelchair is specially designed to support the hind legs and limbs. With this wheelchair, you can easily adjust the height, width, and length to fit your dog. It is simple to assemble and comes with hex keys and accessories that you can install and disassemble.
It is made from lightweight materials, which makes it easy to carry. The wheels are made with non-rubber treads that allow your dog to run and play around.
3. Loobani Portable Dog Harness
- SUPPORT HIP SLING- Loobani mobility aids is a simple and effective solution especially for elderly dogs, weak hind legs, orthopedic injuries, hip dysplasia, Arthritis pain, IVDD / TPLO / ACL / CCL...
- MAKE MOBILITY EASILY- Excellent to help your doggy stand up, up and down stairs, get in and out of vehicles, onto furniture, outside for a bathroom break, or to provide some assistance when taking a...
- COMFORT & NO PAIN- Providing ultimate care to weak and senior dog through thickening design and soft lining with sheepskin-like covering. Moreover,the handle equipped with removable padding is perfect...
The Loobani portable dog harness is designed to enhance mobility by allowing your dog to walk, climb down the stairs, and get up. It comes with a thick design and a soft lining for comfort that is machine washable. The handle has removable padding that protects your hands when carrying your dog. The straps are adjustable to accommodate different dog sizes. It is foldable and fits well in a bag for easy carrying.
This harness is effective for weak and elderly dogs with hip dysplasia and orthopedic injuries.
4. Best Friend Mobility Elite
- Made in the USA
- Lightweight adjustable non-rust aluminum frame
- Non-rust stainless hardware
The Best Friend Mobility Elite dig wheelchair is mostly preferred due to its lightweight features. For maximum support, this wheelchair is designed with a front and rear harness. It has an adjustable aluminum frame that does not rust, hence making the wheelchair highly durable. This dog wheelchair is fast and easy to assemble.
5. Walkin Wheels
- CREATES A HAPPY, HEALTHY LIFE FOR PETS & PET PARENTS! - The Walkin’ Wheels dog wheelchair gives your best friend the happy, healthy life they deserve.. Our pet wheelchair provides support for your...
- KEEPS YOUR DOG MOBILE & COMFORTABLE - Nothing makes our pets, with limited to no mobility in their hind legs, feel loved more than being able to run, play, and explore with their family. Our...
- EASY TO STORE, TRANSPORT, AND CLEAN - Our Medium to Large size dog wheelchairs fold flat making it easy to load into your car when your family travels or to conveniently store when not in use....
This wheelchair is specially designed for small dogs that weigh from 26-69lbs. It is vet-approved for dogs without mobility with their rear legs. It is made from a durable aluminum frame that provides excellent support. The dog wheelchair is portable, and you can easily fold it up and store it in a bag. It is available in pink and blue. If your dog starts to show some signs of decreased mobility or has been diagnosed with paralysis, you should purchase a dog wheelchair for him. With the right wheelchair, your dog will still go for walks, be independent, and live an active, happy life.