When it comes to grooming a matted dog, patience is the most important asset. It is slow and tedious work, but the end result is worth it. The process takes about an hour and will require frequent breaks in order to let your hands recover from the work.
You will need:
- Wet washcloth
- Small comb to help pull the hair apart
- Nail trimmers (optional)
Home Remedies For Dogs With Matted Hair:
Olive oil is great for both human and dog skin. It moisturizes skin and keeps it supple. Massage it gently into the matted hair, with your fingers or a soft brush. Let it soak in for five minutes, then remove with a wet washcloth.
Olive oil has special properties that help reduce the dryness and itching caused by matted hair, but it is soft enough to use on puppies who still have to go outside and cannot stay inside indefinitely. Keep it away from your eyes, since your dog may not like the feeling.
Coconut oil is great for skin, hair, and nails. It relaxes the muscles and reduces itching. Place a small amount on your hands. Massage gently into the matted hair with your fingers or a soft brush.
Let it soak in for five minutes, then remove with a wet washcloth. This may or may not be necessary if the dog does not seem to be bothering by hairs sticking out of the coat, but if you are able to pull some of them out, it will help tremendously as well.
Pet owners who have had trouble with mats in their dogs’ or cats’ fur can purchase a special conditioner. It is made specifically to help remove hairballs and matted hair from dogs and cats, with no side effects. These conditioners have been approved by veterinarians and, in general, have great reviews. The only thing to watch out for is allergies.
When the hair has been de-matted, you should consider using a high-quality dog shampoo to clean the hair.
Use Heavy Duty Clippers
- Built-in Li-ion Batttery. Rechargeable dog trimmer with built-in Li-ion battery is good for exceptional flexibility. It can also be used when charging so you don't have to worry that it will stop...
- Safe and Sharp Blade. Upgrade stainless steel fixed blade and ceramic moving blade can provide excellent cutting performance. The blade sharp enough for a long time using. Detachable blades,easy to...
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.The noise when working is only about 50 db, to help the pet feel at ease, not afraid cut hair any more.
Use a special heavy-duty clipper with wide blades. The normal kind is not strong enough to cut through thick matted hair without damaging the skin underneath.
It’s best to use ones like the Oneisall Dog Shaver Clippers, which are cordless and rechargeable. They have a safe, yet effectively sharp blade, and are specialized for dogs with matted hair.
Use A Special De-matting Comb
- The original professional quality dematting tool. Comfortably and quickly get a professionally groomed look in minutes.
- Clear all different mats and tangles. The double sided pet comb has a different number of teeth on each side. The lower density side is a dematting rake for stubborn matts and tangles. The higher...
- Multiple uses with just one comb. The pet grooming tool not only works great as a dematting brush or detangling comb, but also as an undercoat comb or deshedding rake. The dematting tool for dogs and...
De-matting combs are made specifically to remove matted hair. The teeth will not damage the skin underneath. Place the comb in the palm of one hand, and insert the comb blades into the matted hair. Pull gently with small, even movements. This will help loosen up any plugs of hair that are firmly stuck in place so you can easily remove them with your clippers.
One of the best de-matting combs is from GoPets on Amazon, which is 2-sided, offering the best range of precision for any severity of matted hair. It can also be used as a deshedding comb, which can help with parts of your dog’s fur that isn’t matted, but still needs to be groomed.