Dogs are quite active and energetic. So, leaving them wondering about the backyard can be ideal for exercising. But the issue comes in that they may tend to wander past our yards, especially when you aren’t present to monitor them continually. Typically, this is the common dilemma most dog owners encounter, especially beginners.
Fortunately enough, this problem is easily resolved with the help of an invisible dog fence. Using this fence, you can limit the roaming area of your furry friend without constraining his movements. To steer you in the right direction, we’ve done an article on some of the best wireless dog fences. But before that, let’s understand what a wireless dog fence is, how it functions, and several other FAQs.
What is a Wireless Dog Fence?
A wireless dog fence features a dog collar, known as the receiver, a transmitter, and several flags. This wireless invisible fence uses all these features combined to train or teach your dog to stay within the boundaries set.
In the past, dog owners used to rely on in-ground fencing options, which are hard to install with all the necessary digging. Besides, they are challenging to work with, as they are highly prone to accidental damage or weather effects. Such repairs can be quite costly and result in time wastage.
Ultimately, the wireless dog fences solve all these issues, hence working like a charm. All it does is protect your dog from the fierce outside world. Furthermore, it is a cost-friendly alternative.
How Do Invisible and Wireless Fence Pet Containment System Work?
As highlighted earlier, the critical things in this type of fencing system are the receiver, transmitter, and several flag markers. You install the transmitter inside the house, while your dog wears the receiver. If your dog happens to be near the boundaries, the transmitter notifies you with an alarming sound. Ensure it’s connected to a power source for it to function.
Using the markers, you can train your dog about the boundaries so that he avoids crossing them. Perhaps the dog crosses and doesn’t immediately return to the confined area; the collar performs a static correction, which serves as a warning.
Are Electric Dog Fences Cruel?
Contrary to popular opinion, electric dog fences are not that cruel. The static correction shock is fairly impactful to ensure your dog doesn’t go past the boundaries again. Nonetheless, the induced shock is fairly effectual on your dog. Else, your dog might associate this ‘shock’ to other irritating bugs.
There’s no need to worry about pain as the static correction isn’t that painful. You can try it for yourself and realize that the shock-like effect is just enough to ensure your dog is realizes it’s doing something wrong. It’s just like any other training; it may seem cruel from afar, but is totally safe and not intense in any manner.
How to Choose The Perfect Wireless Dog Fence
Selecting the perfect dog electric fence might be tricky as they are several factors you need to understand. But you don’t have to worry as we have compiled everything you need to know for you. Some of the key elements include:
- The acreage you want to cover.
- The type of battery (rechargeable or non-rechargeable)
- Performance of the battery.
- The size of your dog.
- The adjustability of static correction.
- Alarm warning (Beep or buzz).
- Installation difficulty.
- Warranty period.
- Radio or GPS frequency.
After carefully considering all these factors, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best wireless dog fences. Read on to find out more.
1. JUSTPET Wireless Dog Fence
- THIS COLLAR RECEIVER IS COMPATIBLE ONLY WITH OUR C-100 WIRELESS DOG FENCE
- Let your dogs wear this collar receiver then dogs can be added indefinitely to our product of wireless dog fence system
- Anti-Over Shocking Design - During correction, the collar will first issue a strong vibration as a warning and then shock for a few seconds, then vibrate and shock again and shutoff.
Are you looking for a budget-friendly wireless fence alternative? Try JUSTPET wireless dog fence that comes with a waterproof collar. It is perfect for multiple dogs and can cover an extended circular range of 10-900 feet. Also, the receiver prevents over-stocking. The package also includes a test light and high-flex collar strap. Although some users complain about poor transmission and poor performance during obstructions, this fence is an excellent choice if you wish to protect your dog from wandering away.
2. PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Dog Fence
- WATERPROOF COLLAR: The waterproof collar comfortably fits dogs 5 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches; compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters
- LONG BATTERY LIFE: The collar battery lasts up to 3 weeks before the low battery indicator alerts you to recharge the battery
- PERSONALIZE YOUR DOG'S COLLAR SETTINGS: Teach your pets to stay in the secure play area with a sound-only training mode plus 5 levels of static on his receiver collar
This Wireless Dog Fence has a radial fencing system that has a maximum area coverage of 0.8 acres. It features a transmitter dial, which lets you adjust the boundary circle’s diameter from 40-210 feet. Furthermore, it’s lightweight and has a waterproof collar that fits many dog neck sizes, from 6-23 inches. You can use it with multiple dogs, and add transmitters to extend the range.
Another exciting feature is the five static correction levels, not forgetting the tone-only level once your dog passes training. Overall, if you’re a dog lover, this wireless fence gives a good value.
3. NeoPaw Wireless Dog Fence Containment System
The NeoPaw wireless dog fence features a rechargeable wireless transmitter system. You can conveniently move around with it anywhere you go and set it up quickly and effectively. Besides, it has a refreshing buckle design that ensures optimal comfortability for your dog. Also note that its battery can last up to 18 hours, and the transmitter’s range is about 2 acres.
4. Extreme Dog Fence Standard Grade System
- 🎖️ Improved: The 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence STANDARD GRADE Kit Covers Up to 6 Acres. The Updated Electronics are Designed for Compatibility with New Collar Options. 3 Antennas, 12x Battery...
- 🎖️ Waterproof and Submersible: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be...
- 🎖️ Standard Fence Kit Includes: 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Heavy Protective Jacket, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags and Splice Kits
The Extreme Dog Fence Standard is an effective static correction pet containment system that can guard your dog for up to a range of 6 acres, with the additional 20-gauge fence wire. Unlike other electric dog fences, it’s manufactured in the United States. With this system, the number of dogs you can contain is unlimited, and the full package is inclusive of everything you need. Each static correction strength has seven correction levels and a single ‘beep-only’ level.
5. PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System
- 1/2 acre of circular coverage: The adjustable circular range can cover up to 1/2 acres from the placement of the portable indoor transmitter
- No wire to bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires
- Static free re-entry: Unlike traditional in ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
The PetSafe Wireless Containment System lets you set out a ½-acre boundary around your space without installing a physical fence or burying the wire. All you need is position its transmitter in a weather-proof area, power it, and adjust the dial to cover the dog’s correct size. This system is quite portable- you can move with it anywhere, whether on vacation or camping.
The battery-functioning collar has five adjustable levels and a ‘tone-only’ mode for training purposes. The collar can adjust to 6-28 inches and well-recommended for unlimited pets weighing about 8 pounds.
Ultimately, getting a wireless dog fence for your home will assure you of your furry friend’s utmost safety from dog burglars or lousy drivers. Besides, it ensures your dog can freely move and exercise around large yards without keeping an eye on him. Dogs are quite intelligent and will quickly learn what is expected of them through some simple training. Highlighted above are some of our best picks for wireless fog fences, check them out today.